(The Center Square) – Gov. J.B. Pritzker says Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson has no plan to keep the Bears in the city, but the mayor’s office says the city’s plan is the only one that does not burden property tax payers.
The governor spoke in Chicago on Monday and was asked about Johnson’s ideas to keep the NFL team in the Windy City.
“I know that the mayor has no plan. He has come up with no plan at all about how the Bears would end up in the city of Chicago, so that’s problematic. I’d love them to be in the city, but we are three years in now and he still has no plan,” Pritzker said.
The governor said the Bears have stated publicly, possibly as recently as last Friday, that they have only two options – the state of Indiana or northwest suburban Arlington Heights.
Pritzker said he wants to keep the Bears in Illinois.
“I’m fighting hard to make sure that they can do that and also, very importantly, because my north star is protecting the taxpayers of Illinois, that we have something that works for the state of Illinois that’s fair,” the governor said.
Johnson’s press office said the city has continued to advocate for a publicly owned stadium for the last two years.
“The city’s proposal remains the only plan centered on public ownership alongside a funding mechanism that does not burden property taxpayers while keeping the Bears in Chicago,” a spokesperson said in a statement to The Center Square.
The spokesperson said the city would continue to work with the state and “all stakeholders” to advance a solution that centers the needs of working Illinoisans while preserving the Bears’ future in Chicago.
Pritzker also criticized the mayor when he was asked about Johnson’s suggestion that the city of Chicago could take over the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority.
“We’ve seen almost nothing out of the mayoral administration here on that subject or really any other, so to show up in May and have a bunch of demands seems like late in the game, and it’s unfortunate that’s happened most years,” Pritzker said.
Legislation providing tax incentives for the Bears’ proposed development in Arlington Heights and other Illinois megaprojects stalled in recent weeks.
The Illinois House passed HB 910 on April 22. The bill arrived in the state Senate on April 28.
That same day, Pritzker suggested that the Senate would make changes. In particular, the governor said the Bears do not want a 9% amusement tax added to their ticket prices. The team said in February that season ticket prices would increase by an average of 13.5% this year.
Some lawmakers, taxpayer advocates and labor unions expressed concerns about the impact megaprojects legislation could have on property owners, businesses and schools.
Americans for Prosperity Illinois estimated that the property tax break for the Bears’ $5 billion development in Arlington Heights could reach $330 million per year, all of which could be shifted to other taxpayers in surrounding communities.
The Illinois Federation of Teachers released a “Mega Project, Mega Loss” calculator earlier this month and said the Bears development in Arlington Heights would cause the local school district to receive more than $5.4 billion less over the course of 40 years.
On February 26, Indiana Gov. Mike Braun signed legislation creating a framework for a new Bears stadium in Hammond. Indiana Senate Bill 27 provides for a 1% food and beverage tax in Lake and Porter counties, a 5% hotel tax in Lake County, a 12% ticket tax and the capture of new property taxes at the development.




